Dairy-Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Heart-Healthy, Cholesterol-Healthy
- 2 Butternut Squash (about 6 lbs worth)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh jalapeno chile (include seeds for more heat! discard for less heat)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (4-5 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups organic/free range chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Peel/cut off skin of butternut squash. Cut squash in half, spoon seeds and stringy insides out of middle of squash. Cut squash into small squares.
- Heat oil in large pot or stockpot over high heat, saute minced garlic and jalapeno chile for about a minute, then add butternut squash, turn down heat to med-high so squash won’t stick to pan or burn. Saute for 3-5 minutes until roasted and nicely browned.
- Add cumin and continue cooking for a few more minutes to soften squash more.
- Add broth. Bring to boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 30-45min or until squash is soft enough to blend.
- Once soft, turn off heat and use immersion blender to blend soup to creamy consitency. Or let cool and transfer in batches to blender and blend until smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Pumpkin Seed Pistachio Pesto to serve with it and Enjoy!