Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Healthy Meals On-The-Go
- BASE RECIPE: for plain frittata muffins (I always do equal parts whole eggs + egg whites, just so it doesn’t feel too heavy, but I don’t add milk or anything so stays together well. This recipe makes ~8 reg size muffins.)
- 5 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites or 3/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (~4-5 cloves)
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- FILLERS: 1/4 – 2 cups fillers, depending on how hearty you like things.
- leftover veggies are great! Anything roasted that you’re trying to use up will already have added flavor to it
- I like adding cooked chicken. A really easy thing for me is Trader Joes frozen Kung Pao chicken bag, and I just use the chicken in it plain for all sort of recipes.
- chicken apple sausage
If you don’t have leftovers you can throw in whatever veggies you do have in your fridge, or purchase whatever things you generally like or are craving. However, you’ll have to use your brain, because some thicker veggies you might want to cook a little before just sticking everything into the oven.
Veggies you can just toss in without pre-cooking, for example:
- bell peppers
- precooked chicken or turkey sausage
Veggies you should toss in a pan for a few minutes:
- brussel sprouts
- carrots (unless you like them al dente, then no need)
- Preheat oven to 425*F
- Grease your muffin tins with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Whisk together eggs, garlic, onion, and ground pepper in a large bowl.
- Add in any and all fillers you want and mix them in, so the are all well coated.
- Spoon your mixture evening into 8 muffin tins in the middle of the pan. Dn’t just fill up one side, silly, they’ll cook unevenly.
- Try to get even amounts of each of your veggies/fillers in each tin. Because you wouldn’t want someone to have more than another, right?! Am I the only one this OCD? Really this step is simply neurotic. If you’re sharing these McMuffins and you want all the good stuff in your lunch McMuffins, just put all the good fillers in a few of them. HA.
- Put in oven and bake ~20-25min or until you can stick a toothpick in them and the eggs are firm and nothing is sticking to your toothpick.
- If you put enough hearty fillers in these, 3 will honestly fill me up. But I put A LOT of stuff in mine.