- 1/3-1/2 cup coconut oil – melted but not hot (you’ll want ~1tsp/mold, so with my heart mold where each is a bit on the larger side and there are only 12 molds, I used 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup raw honey (UH, I could go on and on AND ON about how amazing honey is, but for now I’ll just emphasize that you want RAW honey for all the nutritional benefits)
+ equal quantities of each of these: 3-4 tsp
- Green Superfoods (a combination of chlorella, spirulina, barely grass, alfalfa and organic marine plant minerals) – you can also add ea or any of these separately if you don’t want all of them. I adapted this from another recipe and wasn’t about to go open up an apothecary, but already had my green superfood powder with all the same ingredients at home, so I added that.
- Protein Powder of your choice – I think vanilla is a nice addition
- Maca powder
- cacao powder if you’d rather chocolatey supplements/smoothies vs vanilla
- Maqui berry powder
- Soften the coconut oil over the stove on low, low heat stirring frequently, or in the microwave in 20sec incroments stirring in between. Until melted but not hot.
- Mix in honey.
- Add the powders. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon into silicon molds.
- Place in fridge until firm.
- Pop ’em out, store them in sealed glass container!
- They should be fine to be stored in the cabinet, unless you live somewhere uber hot. But see how they hold up, you may prefer to store them in the fridge, up to you.
- Throw them in smoothies!
They are a great source of healthy fats from the coconut oil. Coconut oil is great for insulin resistance which makes it good for weight control and your metabolism. It also supports your immune system as it is has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. It is, however, very high in fat (healthy fat, but fat, none-the-less), so remember a little goes a long way. Which is why I think it’s important to make sure each supplement is less than 1tbsp.
Chlorella (in the green superfoods), spirulina, and barley grass are all great sources of protein that have a balanced pH. All of these super-greens have antibacterial properties, strengthen your immune system, and provide intense cell repair.
We can go on and on about the benefits of green foods, but chlorella specifically is an amazing detoxifier. It’s the highest known source of chlorophyll, and essentially acts as natures blood transfusion by powerfully eliminating toxins from the body. It binds with heavy metals and helps remove them from the body – it has been known to help eliminate heavy metals, including mercury, as well as some pesticides and herbicides. Helps increase red blood cell count, oxygenates the blood, alkalizes the blood and body, helps fight disease, strengthens immunity, is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and helps protect against cancer! Whew!
I got the Wiltons Silicon Mold, but there are tons of other shaps and brands to choose from.
Recipe adapted from a very fit hippy, she has some cool recipes!